Tuesday 7 July 2015

The Book Review ~ The Taxidermist's Daughter


Rating 5/5

I have read Kate Mosse before and her books never disappoint. Her book "The Winter Ghosts" I managed to read in a single sitting on a train to Cardiff. This book is a bit thicker but if I had had a day I think the same could have been done. It is an absolute thriller - the story completely consumes you and you cannot put it down. 

The book is chiefly a mystery - a girl is murdered, men go missing, but there is so much more. A mysterious second narrative crops up at the end of every section justifying these disappearances and gruesome murders. The protagonist has memory loss and as things remind her of what she witnessed as a child the crimes and criminal are revealed. 

The writing is truly Gothic with gorgeous bleak descriptions that make you physically shiver when you read them. The characters are fantastic with the nervous clerk, useless policeman and handsome young hero! 

I could really go on for hours about how brilliant this book is - it really is all encompassing. When I wasn't reading it I was trying to use the clues to figure out what was going on - and then the rest of the time I was reading it... nonstop! 

Clearly another triumph for Kate Mosse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment