Wednesday 20 July 2011

Celebrity Style Guru: Candidate 9

Everyone knows I am obsessed with old movies and one of my most favourite people is this weeks Style Guru.



DORIS DAY


Celebrity Fashion Guru Candidate 9



One of America's most prolific actresses was born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff on April 3, 1922, in Cincinnati, Ohio. Like most little girls, Doris liked to dance. She aspired to become a professional ballerina, but a car she was traveling in was hit by a car and it crushed her leg ending whatever hopes she had of dancing on stage. It was a terrible setback, but after taking singing lessons she found a new vocation, and began singing with local bands.



In 1947 after her first violent marriage ended Day's agent talked her into taking a screen test at Warner Bros. The executives there liked what they saw and signed her to a contract. Her first starring movie role was in “Romance on the High Seas” (1948). The next year, she made two more films. Audiences took to her beauty, terrific singing voice and bubbly personality, and she turned in fine performances in the movies she made (in addition to several hit records). She made three films for Warner Bros. in 1950 and five more in 1951.The star was born.



"Doris Day is one of the grand ladies of song. She exudes sunshine with her acting and singing and just the mention of her name would bring a smile to one's face. I adore her." - Robert Goulet



But, it was her personal life that created Doris Day. Unlucky in love and marriage her big heart caused her to suffer major heartache. One husband stealing all her money over the cause of their marriage.



“If it's true that men are such beasts, this must account for the fact that most women are animal lovers.”



But it is Doris Day’s humanitarian acts... she is a HUGE animal freak!! Funding animal rescues and STILL actively works for the Doris Day Pet Foundation.


“When I see Liz Taylor with those Harry Winston boulders hanging from her neck I get nauseated. Not figuratively, but nauseated! All I can think of are how many dog shelters those diamonds could buy.”


What I love about Doris Day’s style is its femininity and CASUALness. It really does what style needs to do and expresses her personality.



“I like joy; I want to be joyous; I want to have fun on the set; I want to wear beautiful clothes and look pretty. I want to smile and I want to make people laugh. And that`s all I want. I like it. I like being happy. I want to make others happy.”



Doris Day’s style is that of a WOMAN! She is beautiful inside and out. She is not only a STYLE ICON but a LIFE ICON!


No comments:

Post a Comment