Wednesday 23 March 2016

The Book Review ~ Work Suspended and Other Stories


Rating: - 3/5

I have really enjoyed my month with the Waugh family especially reading the last two books of Evelyn. I really love this book but was really disappointed with the longer stories towards the back of the book. The short stories however, were brilliant!

Mr Loveday's Little Outing was amazing. Reading it was really engrossing and you felt as a reader really invested in Mr. Loveday and then the ending BAM! So unexpected and really sickening!

On Guard was hilarious. The wit of Evelyn really shone here. The narration from the dog is just phenomenal. I wanted a whole novel of this! Pure talent! The wit continued into 'An Englishman's Home' and 'Winner Takes All' really poke fun at the Englishman and their narrow mindedness and values. Again could have read more and more of this! 

"Work Suspended" was where I got disappointed. It was nothing I enjoyed about the character who was narrating he was boring and arrogant and uninteresting. There was nothing to grasp and hold onto as a reader. I think perhaps, the wit of Evelyn went to far here. He went to the opposite side of funny and made it too real. 

"Charles Ryder's Schooldays" as a major fan of 'Brideshead Revisited' I was really excited about reading this shorty. It was fun to read the early Charles Ryder. However, the writing was best within the diary entries. I think the story would have been much better if it was just Charles Ryder's diary. 

All in all Evelyn Waugh is a master! Every word is worth reading... well almost every word!

No comments:

Post a Comment