Saturday 22 December 2012

The Book Review ~ The Giant O'Brien


Read: 22nd December 2012
Rating: 3/5

I really love Hilary Mantel and this book was no different. The characters were solid, the plot interesting and the execution impeccable. The first three quarters of the novel I consumed in one night. I absolutely adored it. The thing that really let the novel down was the last section. Particularly the last three pages. 
I literally adored the book until page 190! 

I did feel more could be made of the end in general. From the moment Joe runs off I felt Mantel runs off too. There are some really fantastic twists and turns at the end after Joe’s departure that Mantel briefly touches on and I think the book would benefit if they were expanded on... it could also be I just didn’t want the book to end. 

The characters were so fascinating. Each one follows a Joseph Campbell style transformation which I love from the Giant right down to Bitch Mary. This intense focus on every character just made you invest even more into the novel as a reader. 

The execution is also phenomenal. The movement of the two main characters constantly close, hearing of one another, lives encircling each other and yet not meeting until a climactic point where everything changes. Then from that point onwards the stylistic ways she presents both characters movements and emotions intertwined and yet separate... she really is a MASTER! 

Not quite “Wolf Hall” but I loved it all the same!


No comments:

Post a Comment